Expected Length: 2-3 years
Entry Date: Fall 2024
- Full-time: Classes are scheduled on workdays
- Part-time: Classes are scheduled on workday evenings and/or weekends
(the actual class schedules are subject to change based on the admission results)
Language of Instruction: English
Wenzhou-Kean University’s Master of Architecture program focuses on the relationship between architecture and its environment through the combination of technology and design. The program is dedicated to train global architects with great academic skills, creative thinking, and a deep knowledge about contemporary architecture challenges. Students are required to study technical, design and representation skills.
According to the standards of National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), the course modules consist of Complex Program, Building Systems, Building Systems Integration, The History and Theory of Architecture, Professional Practice, Travel Option, Globalization and Urbanization, Construction technology, and Comprehensive Design.
Through the study in studios and projects that combine professional and practical skills, students will obtain the ability of architecture complex design. WKU provides international career guidance and professional training. After the study of Master, students will become a comprehensive architectural talent with international vision, open and innovative spirit by furthering study at USA and obtaining the license of The American Institute of Architects. Graduates could work in several fields such as Architecture and Design, Urban Design, Interior Design, Architecture Research and the Management of Design Project.
*The Architecture department will evaluate the pre-courses of a student who is non-graduate from Architecture. If the evaluation shows that the student does not meet the requirement, the department will formulate a first-year pre-course plan according to the undergraduate courses of the student.
The pre-courses (37 credits) include:
- ARCH 4100 Foundation Architectural Design Studio (4 Credits)
- ARCH 2303 Representation 3: Hand and Digital Skills (3 Credits)
- ARCH 4201 Architectural History Survey (3 Credits)
- ARCH 4101 Architectural Design Studio I (6 Credits)
- ARCH 3401 Structures I (3 Credits)
- ARCH 4403 Building Systems I (3 Credits)
- ARCH 4601 Intro to Architectural Theory (3 Credits)
- ARCH 4102 Foundation Architectural Design Studio II (6 Credits)
- ARCH 4208 History/Theory Seminar (3 Credits)
- ARCH 4402 Structures 2 (3 Credits)
Application site: https://ga.wku.edu.cn/
1. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
*Applicants, if not graduated from U.S. institutions, must submit a course-by-course evaluation of their official university transcript by National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES) (http://www.naces.org), such as the International Education Evaluation (IEE) or World Education Services (WES) (need to choose course-by-course evaluation).
2. Official transcripts from all institutions attended, 3.0 cumulative grade point average (lower GPAs will be considered based on overall strength of application)
3. Two letters of recommendation
4. Professional Resume/CV
5. Personal Statement
6. Portfolio Review (please submit your online portfolio through application site).
7. Official TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo score reports of test taken within the past two years of application
*TOEFL iBT / TOEFL at home: 79, paper-based: 550; IELTS: 6.5; Duolingo English Test: 105
8. Departmental interview may be required
The Master of Architecture program curriculum is comprised of 54 credits. Students who fulfill each course requirement, and complete the 10 required core courses (42 credits) and 4 electives (12 credits) with GPA no less than 3.0 will be conferred the Master of Architecture degree of Kean University. Students who are non-graduates from Architecture need to complete the additional pre-courses (3-37 credits, dependent on the department evaluation).
Two year tuition fees: Approximately ¥170,000
If additional tuition fees are incurred due to the need for pre-requisite courses for postgraduate students, additional tuition fees will be charged in accordance with regulations.
Wenzhou-Kean University provides rich scholarships and bursaries for applicants for master and doctoral programs.
Both full-time and part-time applicants have the opportunity to receive scholarships and bursaries, up to waiver of tuition fees, accommodation fees, and enjoy monthly subsidies (subject to the final admission letter notification received).
After a graduate student attempts six (6) total graduate credits as a matriculated student, a 3.0 cumulative GPA must be achieved. Failure to meet this minimum may result in the student being placed on Academic Probation. Upon completion of twelve (12) attempted graduate credits, if a student fails to achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0, the student may be academically dismissed from the University at the discretion of the program/department. If a student who is on Academic Probation achieves a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, they will be removed from Academic Probation. However, if at any time during subsequent semesters the student falls below a cumulative 3.0 GPA, they will be academically dismissed from the University.
For more information of academic standards, policy and procedures, please see: https://iq2prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/en/Catalogs/Kean-University/2023-2024/Graduate-Catalog/Academic-Standards-Policies-and-Procedures